Skip to main content

A Nativity Experience.


We cant help but think of Mary & Joseph, leaving their familiar town, with the birth of the Savior on the horizon, not knowing how everything would work out.  It humbles us to think, unbeknownst to these weary travelers, of the provisions that loving Heavenly Parents had made long before--ensuring that angels would herald His birth, shepherds would come in awe and wisemen would travel from afar bringing gifts.  A new family, that would have otherwise found themselves alone, infused with the love of God by those individuals that answered the call and went.

A humble thanks to you who have helped to prepare for this event and to you who have come to bring this evening to life. Our hope is that regardless of what you’re facing, you’ll be reminded of how your Heavenly Father prepares the way & provides along the way, of the village that sustains you, and the role that the Savior plays in it all.

-The Graden Family

 

 

The Seemingly Insurmountable

Struggles

 

 

Mary & Joseph: They were asked to be the mortal parents from the Savior of the World.  The task must have felt daunting at times.

YOU: What is something in your life that perhaps feels impossible to face?

 

 

 Won't You Come 

by For King and Country

(For the song on You Tube click here.)

The people who have walked
In darkness have seen a great light
For those who lived in a land of deep shadows, light

The joy of a great celebration
Sharing rich gifts and warm greetings
For a Child has been born for us
The gift of a Son, for you and for me

His names will be Amazing Counselor
Strong God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace
And there will be no limits
To the wholeness that He brings

Won't you come?
Won't you come? Yeah
Oh-oh, oh-oh
Oh-oh, oh-oh

Light of the World 

by Lauren Daigle

(For the song on You Tube click here.)

The world waits for a miracle
The heart longs for a little bit of hope
Oh come, oh come, Emmanuel
A child prays for peace on Earth
And she's calling out from a sea of hurt
Oh come, oh come, Emmanuel

And can you hear the angels singing
Glory to the light of the world
Glory, the light of the world is here

The drought breaks with the tears of a mother
A baby's cry is the sound of love
Come down, come down, Emmanuel

Oh, He is the song for the suffering
He is Messiah, the Prince of Peace has come
He has come, Emmanuel

Glory to the light of the world
Glory to the light of the world
Glory to the light of the world
Glory to the light of the world

For all who wait
For all who hunger
For all who've prayed
For all who wonder
Behold your King
Behold Messiah
Emmanuel, Emmanuel

Glory to the light of the world
Glory to the light of the world
Glory to the light of the world

Behold your King
Behold Messiah
Emmanuel, Emmanuel
The world waits for the miracle
The heart longs for a little bit of hope
Oh come, oh come, Emmanuel

 

Angels

 

Mary & Joseph: We know of the angel Gabriel who came separately to Mary & Joseph to calm their hearts and tell them of God’s purposes for them.  Angels heralded Christ’s birth and shouted hosanna.  Likely there were also angels seen and unseen along the way to take care of these two faithful followers.

YOU: In what ways do you feel God has sent angels to be with you?

 

God knew the challenges they would face, and He certainly knew how lonely and troubled they would sometimes feel. So He watched over His mortal family constantly… in times of special need, He sent angels, divine messengers, to bless His children, reassure them that heaven was always very close and that His help was always very near.

Usually such beings are not seen. Sometimes they are. But seen or unseen they are always near. Sometimes their assignments are very grand and have significance for the whole world. Sometimes the messages are more private. Occasionally the angelic purpose is to warn. But most often it is to comfort, to provide some form of merciful attention, guidance in difficult times.

…we are reminded that not all angels are from the other side of the veil. Some of them we walk with and talk with—here, now, every day. Some of them reside in our own neighborhoods. Some of them gave birth to us, and in my case, one of them consented to marry me. Indeed heaven never seems closer than when we see the love of God manifested in the kindness and devotion of people so good and so pure that angelic is the only word that comes to mind. 

-Jeffrey R. Holland

 

 

 

 

 

Provisions

 

Mary & Joseph: Though we know nothing of their preparations to leave for Bethlehem, surely an all-loving God provided for their needs, and bolstered them along the way, lending them strength to carry on.

YOU: What provisions has God made for you to make it through the struggles you’re enduring?



I could write a whole book about the many times I have received help doing hard things. Some of those times I wasn't even aware of in the moment but looking back have recognized Heavenly Father's hand, earthly angels and just the calm assurance from the Holy Ghost that I was going in the right direction.

The hardest time was learning my husband had terminal cancer and the following two years. I could never have done it without great friends and family but most of all the visit from an "earthly angel" in my darkest hour.  Without that visit from a Regional Representative, prior to stake conference I might have sunk into serious depression. He gave my husband an inspired blessing that lifted my soul and gave me the courage to go on.

I know Heavenly Father is aware of each of us and reaches out in many different ways to help us do hard things.

-Judith Tweedie 

 

 

The Journey

 

Mary & Joseph: Their journey was on rocky, unpaved, hilly roads.

YOU: You are likely covering unknown territory.

 

Wherever we are in life, there are times when all of us have challenges and struggles. Although they are different for each, they are common to all. Many of the challenges we face exist because we live in this mortal world, populated by all manner of individuals. At times we ask in desperation, “How can I keep my sights firmly fixed on the celestial as I navigate through this telestial world?” There will be times when you will walk a path strewn with thorns and marked by struggle. There may be times when you feel detached—even isolated—from the Giver of every good gift. You worry that you walk alone. Fear replaces faith. When you find yourself in such circumstances, I plead with you to remember prayer…He who knows us better than we know ourselves, He who sees the larger picture and who knows the end from the beginning, has assured us that He will be there for us to provide help if we but ask.

- Thomas S. Monson

 

Whether you are walking through the pain of the loss of a loved one, estranged family, a rocky marriage, wayward children, uncertainty at work, chronic illness, poor health, a crisis in faith or many other struggles that mortality brings, hold on to the promises God has made to YOU.

-Sarah Graden

Promises 

by Sanctus Real (For song on You Tube click here.)

**This song was not playing at the event, we just had these lyrics posted.**

 

Sometimes it's hard to keep believing in what you can't see

That everything happens for a reason even the worst life brings

If you're reaching for an answer and you don't know what to pray

Just open up the pages, let His Word be your strength

 

And hold on to the promises (hold tight)

Hold on to the promises (all right)

Jesus is alive, so hold tight

Hold on to the promises

 

And all things work for the good of those who love God

He holds back nothing that will heal you, not even His own son

His love is everlasting, His faithfulness unending

Oh, if God is for us who can be against us

So, if you feel weak

 

Just hold on to the promises (hold tight)

Hold on to the promises (all right)

Jesus is alive, so hold tight

Hold on to the promises

 

Neither life nor death could separate us

From the eternal love of our God who saves us

 

Neither life nor death could separate us

From the eternal love of our God who saves us

 

Just hold on to the promises (hold tight)

Hold on to the promises (all right)

Jesus is alive, so hold tight

Hold on to the promises

 

Just hold on to the promises (hold tight)

Hold on to the promises (all right)

Jesus is alive, so hold tight

Hold on to the promises

 

Neither life nor death could separate us

From the eternal love of our God who saves us

  

 

Feelings of isolation

Mary & Joseph: After a long tiring journey, they were taxed and then had one door closer after the next, leaving them without a place to sleep let along deliver a baby.

YOU: During our darkest times one thought of discouragement can lead to another and leave us  feeling hopeless and very alone.

 

 

Be Still

Song by The Fray

(For song on YouTube click here.)

Be still and know that I'm with you
Be still and know that I am here
Be still and know that I'm with you
Be still, be still, and know

When darkness comes upon you
And colors you with fear and shame
Be still and know that I'm with you
And I will say your name

If terror falls upon your bed
And sleep no longer comes
Remember all the words I said
Be still, be still, and know

And when you go through the valley
And the shadow comes down from the hill
If morning never comes to be
Be still, be still, be still

If you forget the way to go
And lose where you came from
If no one is standing beside you
Be still and know I am

Be still and know that I'm with you
Be still and know I am

 

 

לאף אחד לא אכפת

(no one cares)

 

שום דבר לא הולך כמו שצריך

(Nothing ever goes right)

 

מבוי סתום

(dead end)

 

איך הגעתי לכאן

(How did I get here?)

 

אין מקום בפונדק

(No room in the inn)

 

מצטער, לא יכול לעזור לך

(Sorry, can’t help you)

 

הייתי צריך לתכנן מראש

(I should have planned ahead)

 

 

(God is good all the time)

 

המשיח בא לגאול אותך

(The Messiah came to redeem you)

 

אור יבוא

(Light will come)

 

אפילו כאן אתה בידיו

(Even here you are in His hands)

 

התקווה לא אבדה

(Hope is not lost)

 

לרגע זה ממש ניתן בן

(For this very moment a Son was given)

 

שהפחד שלך ייפול כאן ואמונתך תקדם אותך

(May your fear fall here and your faith move you forward)

 

 

The STAR

 

Mary & Joseph: God’s love shone down, shedding light and hope, a reminder of His promises and provisions.

YOU: How does God’s love appear in your life to encourage you to press forward?

 

 

 

 

 

 

The same God that placed that star in a precise orbit millennia before it appeared over Bethlehem in celebration of the birth of the Babe has given at least equal attention to placement of each of us in precise human orbits so that we may, if we will, illuminate the landscape of our individual lives, so that our light may not only lead others but warm them as well. (That My Family Should Partake, p. 86)

This is a stunning thing for us to contemplate in all seasons! His planning and precision pertain not only to astrophysical orbits but to human orbits as well.... Therefore, what about our individualized orbits and schedules? Do we appear on the scene on time, and "shine as lights in the world" as the Apostle Paul urged? (Philippians 2:15). YES, there is a personalized plan for each of us. Like the Christmas star, each of us, if faithful, has an ordained orbit, a prescribed path, as we pass through this second estate. (The Christmas Scene, Deseret Book, p.3)

-Neal A. Maxwell

 

 

My experience in life is that Ive never really been able to see things clearly, the way things really are, except when they are illuminated by the light of Christ, the light we call love.  Without that light, I am forever, as the Apostle Paul puts it “seeing through a glass darkly”.

The gospel to me is the practice of becoming the light we call love.   Everything good comes from that pure light.  It is a joy to be the projector or the recipient of such light, and I know that the source of that light is always our Savior, Jesus Christ.  Oh that I might allow the Light of Christ to flow through me.  -Ed Ginouves

 

Recently, I have had a lot of time for contemplation.  As yet another Christmas approaches, I reflect on this last year. It has been a year of chaos, violence, natural disasters and heartbreak.  This is certainly not to say that good things have not happened as well, but this is not the impression we are given with all of our current media coverage.  I am absolutely amazed and horrified at the behavior of the human race.  I find that there are many like myself that are constantly fighting the feelings of hopelessness that creeps in when we hear of people committing these senseless acts of brutality in our society.  I have often wondered what my life would be like without the knowledge of Christ’s Gospel. Would the hopelessness of the world seep in and overcome me as well? Would I feel lost and not know how to maneuver through this life?  I can honestly say that knowing, truly knowing that Jesus Christ atoned for all of our sins, that someday everything will be made right and that there is so much more beyond this life to look forward to.  This gives me the strength to keep calm, focus on the bigger picture and move forward. The “Star” reminds me of the birth of our Savior and his infinite love for each of us. That first Christmas night, when the star shone so brightly, angels sang and shepherds bowed at the feet of the Christ Child,  made this all possible for humanity. Just like those that followed that star that first Christmas night, if we follow his light and live his  teachings, we will never lose sight of  him. I know that if we carry on and plow through these times of trouble and sorrow that we will someday be back in the loving arms of our Savior.

 Tina Manwill

 

 

 

The Humble Birth

(Mary & Joseph)

 

Mary & Joseph: God called these two humble and faithful followers to be the earthly parents to the Savior of the World.

YOU: Perhaps your hardest struggles are your greatest callings.  How are you seeking to faithfully fulfill the important purposes that God has for you?

 

 

I used to think that I was so independent and strong.  Go me!  As I have learned (over and over again, unfortunately), the only thing I am capable of doing on my own is choosing God's will over my own.  And that I only succeed at sometimes.  Any intelligence (pffft), talents, health or abilities I may inadvertently display are only due to God’s grace.  He can take any of them away at any time.  I can’t even breathe without it being a gift from God.  Any love I feel for others I totally consider a gift from on high. 

I still feel like a strong person, but not an independent one.  In fact I feel stronger now, knowing and (mostly) accepting my dependence on Him.  I actually LOVE knowing my life and happiness are in His hands, because I trust Him so much more than I trust myself.  He knows what I need and when I need it – although I consistently disagree with Him at the time.

Because Christ came to earth, I have hope; I have strength; I have peace.  Without Him, all of those would be impossible.

-Gina Ginouves

 

 

 

 I have had to experience this past year so many ups and downs that I was not prepared for.  Due to the many incredible challenges, I was faced with, and the many dark days and days of unknown, my only survival was prayer, reading my scriptures [Come Follow Me, Old Testament Scripture, and Book of Mormon Scripture and attending all my Church meetings and the Temple].  It’s amazing to me how low I was at times, yet my Father in Heaven and Savior Jesus Christ were always ever so near – though at times I was totally unaware of their closeness to me and guidance in moving me forward from the death of my husband and the negative actions of some neighbors that live very near me.  Truly hope in Christ was my only survival and at times it felt like He was even breathing for me.  The following is a Spiritual Message penned by Sheri L. Dew that assisted me in my survival of so many dark days.

“There is nothing more vital to our success and our happiness here than learning to hear the voice of the Spirit.  It is the Spirit who reveals to us our identity – which isn’t just who we are but who we have always been.  And that when we know, our lives take on a sense of purpose so stunning that can never be the same again.  Our spirits long for us to remember the truth about who we are, because the way we see ourselves, our sense of identity, affect everything we do.  …It affects the very way we live our lives…Noble and great.  Courageous and determined.  Faithful and fearless.  That is who you are, and that is who you have always been.  Understanding that truth can change your life, because this knowledge carries a confidence that cannot be duplicated any other way.

When you understand that you were chosen and reserved for now, and when you live in harmony with that mission, you’ll be happier than you have ever been before.”

 

I’m most grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ in my life and all He affords me to learn so that I can someday be with Him again. In the name of Jesus Christ – Amen

-Barb Ives

 

 

 

Shouldering the most important job on earth was probably not something Joseph had ever considered doing with his life, at least not until the angel came to him in a dream. But there he was, protecting the Incarnate Son of God, not simply from King Herod, a formidable adversary, to be sure, but also from Satan.

 

Joseph’s fiat, his yes to God, was an irreplaceable component in the plan of salvation. Jesus and Mary were dependent on Saint Joseph’s protection and provision. In this way, Joseph of Nazareth was the custodian of Christ’s mission. His cooperation in the plan of salvation made Christ’s redemptive work possible.

Julie Onderko

 

Without question, Joseph's leading quality was his righteousness. He trusted God and in turn, God trusted him with His precious Son. Joseph did not always know all the details, but he acted in faith knowing God would lead him to the next step.

 Mary Fairchild

 

Jesus chose to come & be born during a genocide & be born as a minority—

a refugee. He chose to be born to a poor, unwed teen, from a town that was said:

nothing good could come out of.

He chose to be poor, to carry every pain & consequence of every living soul that has ever lived & will ever live—and to be powerless.

He chose to be misunderstood, mistreated, maltreated, abused, betrayed, and killed.

He chose that because He chose YOU.

It was ALWAYs about saving you, getting you back & giving you everything

He could have saved Himself & yet he opened not His mouth.

What a love. I can live for that kind of love.

-Al  Carraway

 

 

 

It's remarkable
to think that a baby boy born in a stable
No prestige, no privilege
No social media or social status
Political campaigns or private airplanes
And yet, he turned B.C. into A.D.

He flipped the world on its head
He's the most famous name around the globe
Inspired the most read book ever written
He reconnected us to Heaven and, in turn, brought Heaven down to Earth

And now he offers us redemption
A fresh start, freedom
So that we can hold our heads high
And march through this life knowing that we are never alone

That every woman and man, boy and girl
To all of us who feel like we have nothing left, nothing to bring
That we can know that God is smiling at us
That he's loving us, that we are enough

 

-For King and Country (Joel & Luke Smallbone)

 

Once in Royal David's City

by Amy Gileadi

(For song on You Tube click here.)

 

The Carol of Joseph 

by For King and Country

(For song on You Tube click here.)

Awestruck, silent
There's wonder in the air tonight
She's softly singin'
Singin' him my lullaby
I can't believe it's true
I can't believe it's really you

For so long, we've journeyed
I never thought we'd come this far
Twistin' and turnin'
Searchin' for a guidin' star

Can't find the words to say
No, I can't explain but the world just changed
I've seen a miracle
Of courage, faith and a mother's grace

Ooh-ooh

I believe in you
Yes, I believe in you
I finally hear the song
The angels singin' on and on and on
And I believe in you
Yes, I do

Breatheless, tremblin', wonderin' what's gonna happen next
Questions upon questions, this little heart beatin' in my chest
How can I be the one, the one to father the fathers son?
How can I raise a kid, when this humble life is all I bring?
Ooh-ooh

Mother Mary says, "I believe in you"
Yes, I believe in you
And I'll always sing this song, with the angels singin' on and on and on
And I believe in you
Yes, I believe in you

I will always sing along, as the angels lead us on and on and on
And I believe in you
Yes, I do, I believe in you
Oh, yes I do, believe in you

 

Shepherds

 

Mary & Joseph: Not only were Shepherds called to come to the manger, the Christ child went on to be known as the Good Shepherd, interested in the one, ever ready to rescue.

YOU: How have you felt God’s love reaching out to you in your times of extremity?

 

 

True disciples of Jesus Christ have always been concerned for the one. Jesus Christ is our greatest example. He was surrounded by multitudes and spoke to thousands, yet He always had concern for the one. “For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost,” He said. “What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it?”

Joseph B. Wirthlin

 

 

If you had good newswhom would you tell first?

 

When something wonderful happens to me, the first people I want to tell are those closest to me, those most important in my life.  They have proven themselves trustworthy over time, and will rejoice with me.  They’ve stood by me during difficult times, and will share in a victory.

 

When God had the best news of the ages, whom did He tell first?  Important religious people?  Wealthy folk?  Learned men?  Actually, no.  God told shepherds.

  Glynnis Whitwer

 

In their timeshepherds were known as people who were honest and straightforward.  Their words did not mean authority, but meant truth.

-Dr. D. Clay Perkins

 

 

It is clearly significant that the announcement came first to shepherds. Though Matthew relates that the news is conveyed later to the wise men—no doubt representing the privileged and educated—via the means of astronomical phenomenon, the lowly shepherds in Luke were informed by direct revelation immediately after Jesus’ birth. There is a tendency to romanticize the shepherds, making them in our imagination good, gentle, humble figures. In actuality, shepherds at the time were often looked upon as unclean and outside the law, sometimes even as dishonest, because they often grazed their flocks on other people’s lands.

In this case, they fit well with Luke’s emphasis elsewhere in his Gospel, where Jesus declares he has come not to the righteous but to the outcasts and sinners. Others have noted, however, that many of the flocks near Bethlehem, which is only six miles from Jerusalem, were intended for temple sacrifices, in which case one sees an entirely different symbolism. Jesus came as the Lamb of God, to die for the sins of the world, and it was perhaps to the keepers of temple flocks that his birth was first announced.

-Eric D. Huntsman

 

There have been a lot of moments that have brought me to my knees in trials that felt like they would never end. I have felt hopelessness, fear, anger and bitterness. I would be lying if I said that during these times I never felt alone because, I did. I would also be lying if I said I don’t feel fearful for the next time that heartache will come because, I do. At the same time, it has been through and after those moments that felt like more than I could bear, that I have learned of His concern for me. This is because He never left me there permanently. He and Heavenly Father guided me. They were aware of me because they sent help and the things I needed. Even when I couldn’t see the next step ahead of me. Even though it wasn’t always how, or when I needed them they never left me there. He heard my cries and I know that he helped carry my burdens when the load was too much. I am safe in His fold even when it hurts even when it feels impossible because He loves me. I feel strongly that we are met with experiences that will bring us to our knees so that we can come to know the One who knows us best. By His grace we are saved every time after we’ve done everything we can do. I am so grateful for our Savior.”

The Lord is my Shepherd; no want shall I know.

I feed in green pastures; safe folded I rest.

He leadeth my soul where the still waters flow,

Restores me when wandering, redeems when oppressed.

Restores me when wandering, redeems when oppressed.

-The Lord is my Shepherd page 108

-Aubri Edwards

Rescue

by Lauren Daigle

(For music video click here.)

You are not hidden
There's never been a moment
You were forgotten
You are not hopeless
Though you have been broken
Your innocence stolen

I hear you whisper underneath your breath
I hear your SOS, your SOS

I will send out an army to find you
In the middle of the darkest night
It's true, I will rescue you

There is no distance
That cannot be covered
Over and over
You're not defenseless
I'll be your shelter
I'll be your armor

I hear you whisper underneath your breath
I hear your SOS, your SOS

I will send out an army to find you
In the middle of the darkest night
It's true, I will rescue you
I will never stop marching to reach you
In the middle of the hardest fight
It's true, I will rescue you

I hear the whisper underneath your breath
I hear you whisper, you have nothing left

I will send out an army to find you
In the middle of the darkest night
It's true, I will rescue you
I will never stop marching to reach you
In the middle of the hardest fight
It's true, I will rescue you

Oh, I will rescue you

 

 

Reflect & Rejoice

 

Mary & Joseph: God sent angels to rejoice after the birth of His son.

YOU: How can you take time to REFLECT & REJOICE on the milestones in your life?

 

 

 

 

I wanted to share how the Gospel of Jesus Christ has been a message of glad tiding for me. As a I thought about this, it made me think about how the Gospel is sometimes referred to as "The Good News", and how it truly is that. I think back through my life and how grateful I am to have the Knowledge of the  Plan of Salvation and the Atonement of Jesus Christ, and knowing that I have a Heavenly Father that loves me and each of us enough to give us all of this. One of the most joyous times of my life, was when I was a Missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of latter Day Saints. It was very difficult being away from family, especially at Christmas time. And having His message be rejected when we were trying to share, what we knew would make others happy. But through all the difficulty, I know it was one of the happiest times of my life , because I was sharing His beautiful message of redemption and salvation. What better gift can you offer to others at Christmas. Seeing even a few people accept that message and the joy and peace it brought there lives, still stays with me some 25 plus years later. 

It reminds me of one of my favorite Christmas Songs, "Joy to the World. I love that song, because it is about the Joy we can receive from knowing Jesus was born, lived, and died for us and was resurrected. But my favorite line is "let Earth receive her King".  To me it is saying that, He and all he has to offer is there as a Gift, ready for us to receive it. He's already given the gift to us. We have to open our hearts to truly receive it and take it into our lives, and help others do the same. This will help us to  be able to enjoy that pure joy that comes from having Faith in Him  and living the Gospel then, sharing it with others. What better Gift can we give to our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ at Christmas.

 - Bobbie Mendenhall

 Angels from the Realms of Glory

by the Piano Guys

(For music video on You Tube click here.)

Angels from the realms of glory,
Wing your flight o'er all the earth,
Ye who sang creation's story,
Now proclaim Messiah's birth,
Come and worship,
Come and worship,
Worship Christ, the newborn King!

Shepherds, in the fields abiding,
Watching o'er your flocks by night,
God with man is now residing,
Yonder shines the infant Light,
Come and worship,
Come and worship,
Worship Christ, the newborn King!

Sages, leave your contemplations,
Brighter visions beam afar,
Seek the great desire of nations,
Ye have seen His natal star,
Come and worship,
Come and worship,
Worship Christ, the newborn King!

Saints before the altar bending,
Watching long in hope and fear,
Suddenly the Lord, descending,
In His temple shall appear,
Come and worship,
Come and worship,
Worship Christ, the newborn King!


Silent Night

by For King and Country

(For song on You Tube click here.)

 Silent night, holy night

All is calm, all is bright
'Round yon virgin, mother and child
Holy infant, so tender and mild
Sleep in heavenly peace
Sleep in heavenly peace

Silent night, holy night
Shepherds quake at the sight
Glories stream from Heaven afar
Heavenly host sing "Alleluia"
Christ the Saviour is born
Christ the Saviour is born

Silent night, holy night
Son of God, love's pure light
Radiant beams from Thy holy face
With the dawn of redeeming grace
Jesus, Lord at Thy birth
Jesus, Lord at Thy birth
Jesus, Lord at Thy birth

 

Unlikely Gifts

Mary & Joseph: The Wisemen brought precious gifts that shed light on Jesus Christ’s character-- the King who came from God to die for us.

YOU: How can offering your lack, deficit, insecurities and doubts can also shed light on Christ’s character and mission?

 

Sometimes I wonder if the 3 wisemens precious gifts  give us the impression that what we offer the Savior must be beautiful, perfectly packaged and unparalleled.  Sometimes it feels easier to offer our “best”.  Yet I think what Jesus wants most from us is our worst—our LACK, our inabilities, our weaknesses and shortcomings.  He invites us to come to Him in our moments of darkness, discouragement and despair, when we feel swallowed in sorrow. He knows that when we turn to Him with our greatest fears, doubts, anger and hurt, pain, discomfort and judgment, HE has so much to offer US.  He can take our outstretched hand and bring us to a higher ground.  If we bring our mortality to Him, HE can bring His divinity to US.  He can complete us, heal us, make us whole.  Ultimately our mortality is what can lead us to be perfected in Him.

 Sarah Graden

 

I believe the divinely given gift we can give others is interest. Interest in their well being, interest in their thoughts, interest in their state of mind. This usually shows up in the form of curiosity without judgment and partiality. This allows people to heal and feel safe to understand themselves and others. It’s a gift that is subtle and often overlooked. This is the gift that Heavenly Father and Christ offer us through prayer and has brought me peace, in times that are dark, and joy, in times of plenty. My hope is that everyone will experience this feeling in their life.

 -Jared Barnes

 

“Let our hearts and hands be stretched out in compassion toward others, for everyone is walking his or her own difficult path.”

-Dieter F. Uchtdorf

 

With Wondering Awe

by Debra Fotheringham

(For song on You Tube click here.)



In the Bleak Midwinter Epilogue

by For King and Country

(For song on You Tube click here.)

What can I give Him, poor as I am?

If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb

If I were a wise man, I would do my part

Yet, what I can I give Him? I'll give, I'll give, I'll give, I'll give, I'll give my heart

 

Where Heaven touches Earth

 

It is from within the intimacy of our relationship with Him that we learn the path of intimacy of pure love for others. But in our pride we want to put trust in our behaviors rather than in our relationship with Him. Believing we can somehow save ourselves we’re tempted to hide from our nothingness… His covenant relationship with us means a different way of living. It requires the frightening joy of baring our souls with all of our inadequacies, the masks come off and the walls fall down. In our honest willingness to show Him who we are, all of what we have done, our motives, attitudes and desires, He covers us in tenderness and mercy. In that sacred relationship with Him, we find healing and freedom.  -Jenet Jacob Erickson

 

Every gift that is offered to usespecially a gift that comes from the heart—is an opportunity to build or strengthen a bond of love. When we are good and grateful receivers, we open a door to deepen our relationship with the giver of the gift.

-Dieter F. Uchtdorf

 


Comments

  1. Hi! Did you collect the anonymous notes of challenges and responses? I would love to see that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I have a friend who is typing them all up so I can post them on here too. Check back soon!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Drop me a line. I'd love to hear from you!