Skip to main content

Don't Sew Angry.

This week I've been making some modifications to a dress.  Let's be honest, I am not really a seamstress.  Yes, I can successfully "sew" something, but if you look closely or turn it inside out, you'll see the... umm, mess process that got me there.  

It's often not pretty.

That being said, I had been working on this dress, feeling OK about how it was turning out.  

Then last night-- 

an emotional bomb with off

and with it an avalanche of deceptions.  

This morning I sat back down to finish my modifications, feeling upset and angry about the situation.  

I put some pins in place, sewed away, turned things right side out just to find that I had sewed through several layers of fabric instead of just the two.  Insert face palm.

I should have known.  Don't sew mad.

Now I have quite a bit of unstitching to do, and am crossing my fingers that I won't rip the fragile fabric.

{To make things worse, several months ago, my son got his hands on my seam ripper and it's no longer functional.} At first I was muttering under my breath how frustrated I was that he had taken it and broken it.  Then, I was attempting to use my faithful yet large and clunky pair of sewing sheers to get the job done. I could hear a voice in my mind saying, "Sarah, this isn't going to turn out pretty.  Put the scissors down.  Be patient enough to get the right tool."

So as I type this I am applauding my too-often-impulsive self for setting the project down until I can procure a proper seam ripper.

But it's got me thinking.  

How often do we get through childhood missing certain "tools"?  

As adults, we get in to situations where one of those missing "tools" would be perfect, yet we try to "make do" with something else, all the while cursing our parents for not properly equipping us?  

We proceed to fumble our way through, "sewing" or "seam ripping" angrily, making more "holes"?  Creating more work & more repairs for ourselves, resentment mounting.

When in reality we can take things in to our own hands, get the proper "tool" to move forward with less frustration and greater satisfaction.

What tools are you missing?

How can you get the right tool to move forward with confidence and success?


Comments