Skip to main content

Creating Calm--Start here!

My sister-in-law recently asked for advice on how to stay calm with her young kids. I am no expert and still have a ways to go, but I've come a long way. So I'll share what tips work for me in case they come in handy for you.

This morning reminded me of where I try to start with creating calm in my home.

My son has sensory processing issues. As I've seen what textures, temperatures, sounds, and tastes affect him, I've been increasingly aware of what affects me.

I've come to realize how little seemingly insignificant inputs can add up to disrupt my day.

Take this morning for instance. My kids all seemed particularly grumpy about getting ready for school but I noticed I was more irritable than the situation would typically merit. So I took a self assessment. How did I feel? I quickly realized that...

My cuddly PJs were great for sleeping but were now making me hot. Feeling too warm instantly invites irritability for me! (As a side note, I have found that if I wear a certain snuggly robe my productivity will tank. Literally.)

My hair was down and getting in my face. 

It hurt my feet to stand on the tile floor.

I hadn't eaten so my GI issues were flaring up and making me nauseous. 

And I had a slight headache, probably due to dehydration.

With that information I was able to quickly do something about it. I changed my clothes, put my hair up, slipped on supportive shoes, got a drink of water and poured myself a bowl of cereal.

A few minutes later and I was more able to take on the grumpies kids πŸ˜‰ with a bit more patience.

So next time you're feeling irritable perhaps you can do a quick self assessment to see what factors are negatively affecting you. You may realize that your mood isn't just about your circumstances but also about the way you feel.The little factors may seem small but put together can tip the scales with your mood.

Some of my most common culprits include:
Temperature (too cold but especially too hot) πŸ˜“
Tight/uncomfortable clothing πŸ‘•
Hunger and/or or thirstπŸ₯›
A hole in the toe of my sock (no joke! It drives me crazy 🀣)
Dry hands or chapped lips 😚
Extra dirty glasses πŸ‘“
The room is too dark or too bright ☀️
Unnecessary noise (a fan running, a toy playing a song over and over and over again.)

How about for you?

Stay tuned for "Creating Calm---If the T-shirt Fits".

Comments