Skip to main content

Not What it Seems.

While we were in Europe for five weeks, our sprinkler system was out of commission. Needless to say that with the dry southern Utah Summer, we came home to a very pitiful & practically dead lawn.  For various reasons we decided that we'd re sod next year but got the sprinklers up and running and continued to water the dry scraggly patches.  

Several months later, for those who didn't know the story and looked from afar, it would seem like we again have green & thriving grass!


But with a closer look you'd quickly realize that it's 20% crab grass, 10% dirt patches and 70% weeds! Recently mowed, but a patch of weeds nonetheless!


I wonder how often we glance at each other's lives and quickly ascertain that everything is taken care of and going smoothly. What if we knew the story? What if we took a closer look? I bet we'd actually come to understand the underlying stresses, unseen problems, and unruly areas that cause concern. And also realize how similarly we are struggling to do our best.




On my journey I'm coming to better understand and value what my story is and what I uniquely have to offer.  It doesn't look the same as my mom, my sisters, neighbors or friends.  And it was meant to be that way.  The World needs each of us as individuals to do our great work.  I love what Patricia Holland has to say,

"Obviously the Lord has created us with different personalities, as well as differing degrees of energy, interest, health, talent, and opportunity. So long as we are committed to righteousness and living a life of faithful devotion, we should celebrate these divine differences, knowing they are a gift from God. We must not feel so frightened, so threatened and insecure; we must not need to find exact replicas of ourselves in order to feel validated as women of worth."


I love this idea!  If I focus on contributing what I personally have to offer, it leaves very little time to compare to others.

If your lawn or your life feel more scraggly than others, remember that things are often not as they seem.  Take courage in your story, in your journey!  Ask for help as needed and offer help as your time & energy allow.


Comments

  1. I really love this. It makes me so happy to read these sarah! This is definitely something I can work on. Thanks for sharing! ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Drop me a line. I'd love to hear from you!