Skip to main content

Feelings Friday.


My Grandpa was one to document everything.  Either by nurture or nature I inherited that same zeal.  Those who have been around me enough know that a picture is probably in order each time we hang out.  I am the self-proclaimed selfie queen.  On occasion for me a selfie is to document a good hair day or a day when I'm feeling extra beautiful, but in general it's because I want to remember so many of the tiny moments that make up my life. 

Today in therapy we talked about the importance of identifying and saying how we feel.  Too often we subconsciously label a feeling as "bad" and repress it and glaze over it.  Without receiving the message that it intends to deliver, it will manifest in other times and other ways.  
When I got home I had the thought to look through some of my selfies from the past several months and identify which feeling/feelings I caught with each snapshot.  I've gotten in the habit of not only documenting the "good" moments but also the hard ones.  I think it helps to recognize it for what it is and later on gives me a chance to look back, realize that the moment has past and often with it the hardship.

Selfies may not be for you, but asking yourself what you're feeling and speaking it out loud can be a powerful practice.  Here is an A to Z list of different feeling words.  The more specific I get with giving words to my feelings, the more information it gives me.  My therapist suggests trying on different words til you find the one that feels right for the situation.
From time to time I'm going to use this space to share some of my recent feelings.  Here are a few from the last two weeks:
I felt disappointment when our watercolor class was postponed.
I felt such gratitude sharing with my hubby the inspiration I've received lately.
I felt hope coming out from our first therapy session as a couple.
I felt purpose when starting up my Facebook page to share my journey.

What feelings have you had this week?  What is your soul trying to tell you?

Comments