Skip to main content

Thoughts for Thursday: Humble Pie.


SUNDAY, JUNE 27, 2010
Humble pie.

I feel like--even though there are areas of my life that still need a lot of work and attention--that the Lord is with me and that He is helping to change my heart. The last little while I feel as if I've been in a "workshop" on humility. What a powerful and important lesson to learn. I honestly think that most of my life I have believed that being right trumped all and that admitting my weakness or fault or error would be way too humiliating and was not worth it! BUT it's SO wrong. It is a carefully-crafted lie of the adversary to keep us in his control and to keep us from progression and peace. In any case, I have had a few "labs" the last few weeks where I've been faced with the choice to be humble or to be rigid and right. Even though I was SO afraid of the pain and humiliation of admitting that I was wrong...Each time I chose humility things were resolved so quickly, my heart was light and the pain was taken away. I know that THAT is the Lord's way.

I'm grateful to be setting down the path of humility. I know that humility is the key to open so many doors. Once again, how thankful I am for the tutelage of the spirit AND for the opportunity to act, to learn and to try...try again.

4 April 2018
I want to add an experience that I had while in college.  I was finishing my last year of my BA in French Teaching and was concurrently teaching French 101.  One of my supervisors was a French woman who was known for her exactness & high expectations.  I remember vividly sitting in a building on campus waiting for her to give me feedback from my first teaching evaluation.  I could feel myself bracing for the impending commentary.  Up until that point I had most often become hurt, offended and defensive when people would give me any sort of criticism, but I felt strongly that if I approached the meeting with that mentality I would feel broken afterwards.  Instead I felt prompted to open up my mind and heart and as humbly as possible listen to her list of critiques.  The Holy Ghost surely helped in the process because she truly did have a VERY long list of things for me to work on, but I was able to take them in stride and they ultimately helped me to become a much better teacher.

When pride would tell us to be stiff, close-minded and hard-hearted, it is also indirectly inviting us to stunt our development and growth.  Humility, on the other hand, is a great catalyst for learning, change and progress.

Are there ways that you could choose more humility in your daily life?  How would being more humble help you make the changes that you would like to make?

Comments