Skip to main content

You're a Gem.

This morning, in conjunction with seeking light & inspiration at a nearby temple (of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints), I had a very sweet and powerful experience.  With it being the weekend, I was going to wait and type it up next week, but when I saw that it was International Women's Day, I knew I needed to take the time to share this TODAY.

While driving away from my house this morning I had the idea to text a song to a friend of mine.  I've learned to as-immediately-as-possible follow through with the whisperings of God's spirit, so I pulled over and sent the text.  Next came the thought to tell her how amazing she is, that she is just the way God needs her to be (strengths, weaknesses, insecurities and all) and that He works beautifully through her.

That phrase made me think of a prism and how it refracts light.  The words came to me, "We're each unique prisms (with the different faces & facets of our personalities and testimonies) and God's truth, light and love shines through us in ways that touch different people."

As I got back on the road and on to the freeway the cloud coverage was blocking much of the sun's light, what had just been a bit of snow was now encompassing the road and reducing visibility.  It looked quite bleak ahead of me.

Yet I had a feeling that as I got closer to the temple the sun would reappear.

Sure enough, as I exited and turned up the hill towards the temple, there was almost no sign that it'd been snowing.  The sun was brightly shining, accentuating the experience that I was having.

I parked, texted my friend the idea about the prism and walked in to the temple.  As I started walking up the stairs my eye caught a collection of little rainbows up on the wall.  I silently gasped as I saw they were coming from the little diamond prisms in the stain glass window.

I felt like God had been with me the whole time, teaching me beautiful truths through each followed prompting.

After that experience, if I could shout one message from the roof tops to the women around the world, this is what I would share...


God created each of us with distinct beauty, timeless traits and divine gifts.  The more we come to know these truths, the more clarity that we'll have about ourselves and the greater ability to share God's light.

As I pondered this, the thought came to me that too often we busy ourselves with outward polishing--I need to work on this "flaw", overcome this "weakness", get rid of this "ugly" part of me.  Or perhaps at times, or for very long, unrelenting seasons, we are clouded with doubt & discouragement, seemingly beyond any hope of being capable to accomplish what needs to be done or ability to be "good enough".  Yet, even in those darkest moments when we feel buried in the depths of despair, our value in God's eyes is the very same, just as if we were a gemstone hidden deep in the earth.  It is no less precious.

Each day if we could do ONE thing to fulfill the purpose of our creation it would be...

SEEK HIS LIGHT!

Let go of the comparisons.  Set down the unnecessary and unobtainable expectations.  Leave the polishing to the Creator.

As we seek God, His cleansing light will purify, polish and sanctify us.

The beauty is, not only does this process bring more clarity and understanding of who we truly are, but the light that we refract, also allows others to better understand their purpose, beauty, mission and truth.

So do yourself a favor, do those around you a favor, don't dim your shine, don't play small.  Instead look inside of you to feel the truth of who you really are.  Seek to be in a place where God's light can illuminate your soul.  I will tell you, the best companions come with light--love, HOPE, faith, kindness, concern for others...JOY!  Pure God-given JOY!

Just like my experience this morning, your path may feel obscured, unforgiving and bleak, but keep your sights on where you're going and continue on.  The light will come and with it a knowledge of God's great purposes for you and the precious gem that you have been created to be.

And

SO MUCH LOVE to fill your HEART!  It is so worth it.  This my friend, is the type of woman that will be a powerful influence for good, a force to be reckoned with.

P.S. This song is one of my new FAVORITES! Just had to share it because of its message of light. (Listen to it herehttps://g.co/kgs/3GXQoF.)

The moon is sitting in his favourite moment
The stars are by his side
But I can tell it's going to take you a minute
Before you sleep tonight
And I know that you might feel alone
In the quiet of the night
And how you long to keep the light on
His word, is a lamp
And a light, to your path
And Jesus promised to be with you
Where you are, where you are
You don't have to be afraid, of the dark anymore
Because His truth will keep the light on, in your heart
Yes His truth will keep the light on
This old world is going to keep on spinning
But you're going to be alright
‘Cause there's not a minute, that he's not here in it
Standing by you side
And I know that you might feel alone
In the mystery tonight
But you can always keep the light on (because)
He'll keep your burning, pure and clean
If you'll let His light shine on everything
And bring all that's broken
Into the brightness of Jesus
And He will light up your life, like the Tennessee sky
You'll glow in the dark, like a firefly
And you'll stand like a lighthouse
A beacon of hope in the night

Comments

  1. I had a similar thought about prisms about 6 weeks ago. I thought of God’s love radiating through me, warming me and lighting me up. I then thought how my work is to then radiate that light and love out into the world. A prism breaks light into its various colors, partly because that prism is imperfect. The imperfections in us allow us to see the distinct forms His love can take. I may not yet be able to love as He does or as completely or fully, but I can be improved and polished and refined so that someday I will. I love your point about Who does the polishing, because it isn’t me or even those wonderful people around me.

    I think too that though I may only be good at one “color” of love, I can work together with others who are stronger in other ways, and then we can better radiate the totality of God’s love and work to help others feel it directly from the Source.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love that God spoke a similar message to you!

      A thought I'd had about perfect light coming in and going out imperfectly is that perhaps the imperfect attempts and manifestions of love would reach some people who aren't in a place to receive the direct/full light. Something for me to keep pondering.

      Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

      Delete
  2. Such a beautiful moment and message! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a beautiful morning with the Lord ❤️

      Delete
  3. 1 Corinthians 13:12 "For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. "

    I loved your image of us as prisms refracting Heaven's light; prisms have unique properties that allow variation and character to interact with light. This scripture of Paul's, like so many of his, reflect his understanding of and gratitude for our struggling progression. This scripture reinforces that the veil lets us know only part our worth. For we have little comprehension of who we were before this life, who we really are now and who we will become until the veil is parted and the Godhead's full glory can illuminate us face to face. Until then, we must look for the light refracted in ourselves and others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that!! I imagine a fullness of the truth will be part of the fullness of joy ☀️

      Delete
  4. I love the imagery. It "sheds light" ;-) on the Savior's love and how He reaches people through us. God's plan, His creating us with unique gifts, talents, and abilities is amazing. It gives me confidence to know that God can use me to bless others in my own way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely!! You touch so many lives for good by just being yourself. You're amazing!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Drop me a line. I'd love to hear from you!