Skip to main content

Authenticity in the World of Social Media.

Click here for Video.

After hearing that CHILDREN and teen suicide rates have greatly increased in the social media era--in large part because of the often unrealistic, perfect-seeming and unobtainable standards that are portrayed & shared--I made this video in an effort for me to personally be more authentic on social media for the people in my sphere of influence.  Recording in my PJs with a day old hairdo and makeup and giving a mini tour of my MESSY house contributed to those efforts ;0)

As I mention in the video, I LOVE beautiful things.  I love designing cute invitations, throwing themed and coordinated events and decorating my house for each holiday and season.  It's easy for me to only post the beautiful, "perfect"-looking parts of my life.  But I desire to make positive waves with authenticity, to liberate myself from unobtainable standards and feel comfortable & confident in my skin AND to allow allow others to do the same.

If you take a look at how your life is portrayed, could it use a reality check?  Could it use a little more vulnerability and a few less perfectly posed pictures?

Honestly, for most of my life I've been SO paralyzed by the THOUGHT of what others were thinking of me (I'm still working on that!). I worked so desperately to please everyone and to portray my most put together and "perfect" self.  In college I'd even Photoshop out blemishes before posting pictures of myself online.  Well you know what, upholding that kind of façade is EXHAUSTING because it's not real!  It has been incredibly liberating to do Facebook lives right after rolling out of bed, when my microbladed eyebrows (I don't have real eyebrows, can we say anxiety-induced trichotillomania??) are all goopy after my touch up appointment, or when looking amazing amazingly flushed after a jog & sharing how I wanted a new GI tract for Christmas. It's the real me!  There are no pretenses to keep up. 

We all have flaws, insecurities and weaknesses!  The more we're able to face them, allow them and share them, the more freedom we'll experience.

Comments